Partly an arcade and partly a bridge, almost the last part of the famous aqueduct of Segovia (Spain), just south of the city center.
The Los Milagros (the Miracle) Roman aqueduct substruction and bridge over the river Rio Albarregas in Merida (Spain). This was just a part of one of the three aqueducts of Merida, see the separate website. The pillars are very popular by storks (!)
An arcade of the Gier aqueduct of Lyon (France) near Soucieu. Because of its resemblance the part left is called 'Le Chameau' , the Camel.
Most famous is the 1350m long arcade of the the Aqua Claudia with the Anio Novus on top, near Roma Vecchia (half a hour by subway and walk from Stazione Termini, Rome).

Longest arcades in Roman aqueducts

Some 80% of the courses of Roman aqueducts ran subterranean, the other 20% were more visible (substructions, bridges and arcades). Nevertheless the image of aqueducts is like the pictures at left.

Arcades were needed to cross shallow depression where a detour should have been too laborious. Up to a height of 2 meter a substruction sufficed otherwise an arcade was needed. In some cases a combination of an arcade plus a bridge was built, like was the case in Segovia (see left) NW of Madrid and in Merida SW of Madrid (Spain).

Most famous is the 1350m long arcade of the Aqua Claudia with the Anio Novus on top, near Roma Vecchia (half a hour by subway and walk from Stazione Termini).
Name aqueduct Length (m) Height (m) Literature Remarks
Roma, Aqua Claudia 8250 27 Own observations from Roma Vecchia to Porta Maggiore
Carthage (Tunisia) 4500 20 Burdy 1998  
Constantinople (Turkey) 971 27 Burdy 1998, Crow 2008 also called the 'Valens aqueduct'
Merida (Spain) 930 27 Burdy 1998  
Segovia (Spain) 728 28 Burdy 1998  
Lyon, Gier (France) 551 28 Burdy 1998 Plat de l'Air
Antiochia (Turkey) 275 8 Burdy 1998 Antiochia in Pisidia


HOME Literature references Last modified: January, 2012 by w.d.schram 'at' romanaqueducts.info